Click here for more pictures.
Guess what?! James Post and I are engaged!!! I wish I could tell you each in person or at least call you, but there just isn’t time. The details below are written from James’ perspective, but we wrote it together so my input is included as well. We’re about to leave to go ring shopping. :-) James and I are at my parents house right now, but we will be leaving Monday morning to drive back up to school in Canada.
—————- The Story from James’ Perspective ——————
It happened shortly after finishing an incredibly busy but successful summer semester at CanIL (Canada Institute of Linguistics) and going on an 8 day backpack with her family. On the backpack, I got the chance to talk with her father and ask for his blessing. Then we came home and spent some time with her family.
We had both known that we wanted to be engaged for a while. In fact, last fall, just before we started courting/dating, I (James) told Christina that I could totally see myself marrying her and that I wanted to see if that was what the Lord had for us.Â This last Tuesday, we were talking about getting engaged, and I decided that that night was the night. We didn’t have a ring yet, so I asked Christina if she wanted a ring before or after engagement or if it didn’t matter. She said it didn’t matter. We had been reading the Bible together, so I picked it up it and read through the passage in Proverbs 31 that talks about a virtuous woman.Â I said that I saw some of those aspects in Christina and that I wanted to help her develop more of them. Then I said, “I don’t know what to do. I talked with your dad and he said he also wanted to talk with your mom and I don’t know if he has.” Christina told me he had.
I then told her I wanted her to be the mother of my children and my wife. And I said that practically everybody already thinks we’re engaged (or married), and that we should go ahead and make it official. So, I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me. She said, “Yes, with pleasure”. And we were engaged at 12:10 AM August 27.
We spent some time enjoying the new feeling of being engaged (wow!) and then Christina woke her parents so we could tell them. We got to tell my parents the next day and have continued to spread this wonderful news. This email is our official announcement, so please feel free to forward it on or to tell whoever you want.
We would appreciate your prayer as we begin planning for our wedding and our future. We hope to be married on either May 23 or June 20, 2009. Our wedding is going to be in southwest Washington, near Christina’s home and there will be an additional reception in Michigan.Â Here are some specific prayer points.
- We’re going ring shopping today, please pray for God to direct our path as we shop
- We plan to start pre-marital counseling this coming semester, please pray for these sessions to help us grow and to take advantage of the resources available to us
- We plan to start the application process for Wycliffe Bible Translators in December and want to complete the process before we’re married
- For when we should go to Training Camp after becoming Wycliffe members
- For us to study well and to spend quality and quantity time with each other as we begin this fall semester (Christina has started the Master’s in Applied Linguistics and Exegesis at CanIL, which is what I am also taking)
- Choosing a location for the wedding and reception
- Organizing our wedding (many people are out of state)
With love and excitement,
James and Christina
For more pictures, click here.